Foro Defensa México
The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines 2vwzcep

Unirse al foro, es rápido y fácil

Foro Defensa México
The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines 2vwzcep
Foro Defensa México
¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.

The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines

2 participantes

The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines Empty The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines

Mensaje por Lanceros de Toluca Abril 5th 2012, 00:18

The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines

Continuing Operations, Features // April 4th, 2012 // By Lance Cpl. Chelsea Flowers

The new Oshkosh Defense Light Combat Tactical All-Terrain Vehicle has all the protection of an MRAP, without the decrease in movement and suspension. It can maintain speed while maneuvering even the most difficult of terrain. The L-ATV is one of several vehicles competing to replace the Humvee fleet in the Marine Corps. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Chelsea Flowers)

I’ve never prided myself in knowing a lot about horsepower, vehicles or engines. I didn’t have to be a grease monkey, though, to notice the difference in smoothness and maneuverability of the new Oshkosh Defense vehicle.

Last week, I got to experience first-hand the new features of the Oshkosh Defense Light Combat Tactical All-Terrain Vehicle on an off-road course. First, however, Oshkosh put me through the course in the Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement, or MTVR, as a comparison. Needless to say, it was a bumpy and rough ride. We moved at a slow pace, especially when crossing potholes and divots or taking tight turns. After a less than comfortable ride, I took a ride in the L-ATV.

The two vehicles couldn’t be more different. The L-ATV maneuvered effortlessly over the bumps and difficult terrain. We maintained a speed of 20-30 mph over most of the course, even hitting 40 mph at one point. One of the Oshkosh employees said the best test of smoothness was that he could easily continue to send text messages while in the L-ATV, but couldn’t in the MTVR. While I don’t expect deployed Marines will be texting while in the L-ATV, he did make a valid point about how smooth the ride was.

Since the mid-1980s, Marines have used the Humveefor a variety of missions both deployed and at home. Over time, the Marine Corps modified the Humvee to add protection, but with that has come a decrease in speed and mobility. That is, until recently.

The new Oshkosh Defense Light Combat Tactical All-Terrain Vehicle is one of several vehicles the Marine Corps is considering to replace the Humvee fleet in coming years. The L-ATV sports increased protection as well as speed and maneuverability and significant off-road ability. The TAK-4i suspension system also lends for a smooth ride even in the most difficult terrain. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Wetzel)

The Marine Corps is considering proposed vehicles by multiple companies to eventually replace the existing fleet of Humvees. The L-ATV is one such vehicle.

“We’ve been developing the L-ATV over six generation of vehicles,” said John Bryant, Oshkosh Defense vice president and general manager for Joint and Marine Corps Programs.

The L-ATV offers a new suspension system, more advanced than the TAK-4, which is currently used on roughly 20,000 vehicles in the military. The L-ATV features a new intelligent suspension system called the TAK-4i.

“TAK-4i takes off-road suspension capability to the next level of performance,” Bryant said. “It provides 20 inches of wheel travel. It will provide not only the ability to cross very difficult terrain, but to do it with a great ride quality and without beating up the occupants of the vehicle.”

It isn’t just the smooth ride that makes the L-ATV so pleasing to Marines. It also has as much body armor on the outside as a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle, Bryant said. Ordinarily protection of that magnitude comes at the price of slow movement, but the L-ATV shows no signs of being weighed down.

“The L-ATV has an incredibly protected capsule, only before experienced in an MRAP,” Bryant said. “But it is a light-tactical vehicle capable of tremendous off-road performance. It can go fast across terrain and tackle the most challenging obstacles with a ride-quality and reliability so Marines don’t have to worry about beating themselves up on the way to and from missions.”

Even the handling of the L-ATV shows improvements over other vehicles.

The L-ATV’s TAK-4i suspension system allows it to travel on off-road terrain with speed and a smooth ride. The vehicle has undergone six generations of improvements and changes to become what it is now.

“It’s converging on what a pick-up truck operates like,” said Bruce Sellers, director of Oshkosh defense business development for Marine Corps Programs. “It doesn’t feel like a big, heavy truck.”

While the Marine at the wheel may feel like he’s taking a drive in a pick-up truck, the L-ATV is more than suited to handle any mission the Marine Corps requires.

“We can’t change the geo-political environment,” Bryant said. “We can just prepare Marines to handle it.”

And as a former Marine artilleryman, Bryant knows just what Marines need in a vehicle.

The Oshkosh Defense L-ATV is only one of several proposed vehicles that could hit the fleet in coming years. Over the next 27 months, the top three vehicles will continue to be tested, changed and improved. When the final vehicle is picked, there is no doubt it will bring better protection, smoother riding and improved handling for Marines.

http://marines.dodlive.mil/2012/04/04/the-l-atv/

Lanceros de Toluca
Alto Mando
Alto Mando

Masculino Cantidad de envíos : 19666

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Defensa-M%C3%A9xico/3631280304218

The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines Empty Re: The L-ATV: a smoother ride for Marines

Mensaje por mossad Abril 13th 2012, 17:58

mmmmm....interesante , a medida que EU se retire de Afghanistan como ya lo hizo de Irak miles de blindados MRAPs y M ATVs seran retirados del servicio o puestos en reserva , otros iran a parar a equipos SWAT de EU y otros tantos iran a paises aliados , la razon es que estos vehiculos fueron creados para un conflicto en especifico con carateristicas especificas a esos teatros de operaciones , no son pues la mejor opcion ante una guerra convencional como la que se espera contra Iran,China o Norcorea donde un Bradley es mas util.

Aqui lo interesante es que en un futuro cercano Mexico podria comprar a buen precio o mejor aun, recibir como donacion de EU una buena cantidad de vehiculos , tienen sus desventajas como un alto consumo de combustible , no cualquier puente los soporta , dificultad para maniobrar en calles estrechas , etc pero todo eso se contrapone a la enorme proteccion que ofrecen y el poder ofensivo que despliegan.

mossad
Miembro Honorario
Miembro Honorario

Masculino Cantidad de envíos : 2113